Working in web design is a job that requires precision and accuracy. It doesn’t matter how skilled you are, if your mouse isn’t up to the task it can be difficult to do your best work.
A mouse that is too small or moves around on its own will frustrate you as you try to create an amazing website for your client. Also, you would always appreciate the feature to automate several tasks.
Luckily, there are many options out there for web designers. The best mouse is one that fits your needs best (wired or wireless, ergonomic design) and has a customizable button layout so you can program it to suit the task at hand.
In this post, we have assembled a list of the 12 best mouses for web designers so that you can find one with all the features and qualities you need. There is a brief buyer’s guide below. Read on to pick the best mouse for web designers.
Buying Guide: What to look for in a mouse for a web design needs?
If you are a web designer, there is no point in having an expensive mouse if it doesn’t provide comfort to your hand. A high-end mouse may come with all sorts of fancy features but the most important thing is whether it’s ergonomically designed and help eliminate pain or discomfort from extended periods on the computer. In some cases, it can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.
Invest in a high-end mouse that seats your hand comfortably and glides without pressure at all, even if you are not using this as an everyday office tool.
It might be tempting to buy a fancy new device but having one doesn’t mean anything unless it’s comfortable enough to work long hours of intensive web designing sessions. Rather than the aesthetic appeal, comfortability and convenience should be your top priority.
Wired or wireless mouse:
The wired mouse is a cheaper and more practical option for the everyday computer user. This type of mouse doesn’t require batteries or to be charged. However, unfortunately, there are disadvantages that come with this style- it gets tangled in cords and creates messy wires around your desk.
A wireless mouse does not need wires and it simply needs a USB receiver to work; so you do not ever have to worry about getting tangled up in cords. You have complete freedom to move over your desk at will. Almost any surface can be used, which is great for those who have a tendency to use their mouse on their knees or the floor.
Size or dimension
You may be wondering what size mouse is best for you. Sometimes, deciding which one to buy can feel like a daunting task.
The mouse is in two different types. The bigger one is better for your hand and has more buttons. A smaller mouse is cheaper and easier to carry around with you.
But the type that will work best for you depends on how much room in your laptop bag (or desk) you have available.
As well as what kind of streamline of work you do most often when using a laptop or desktop computer.
When choosing a mouse, you might want to choose one that is bigger. Bigger mice have more features.
Programmable buttons can be a great time-saving feature for users who do repetitive tasks on their computers.
If you are looking to save time and increase productivity, consider investing in this type of mouse.
A mouse without programmable buttons can also be your favorite if you are more comfortable using a simpler one.
DPI (Dot Per Linear Inch)
DPI is the standard used to measure mouse sensitivity, expressed in dots per linear inch. The greater a device’s DPI count, the higher its sensitivity and pointer speed.
The important thing to consider when choosing a new mouse for your workstation is how sensitive it will be with various types of web designing projects.
A lower-DPI computer mouse might suit well for simpler designs or edits while high-resolution mice are better suited to more complicated projects such as animation.
Best Mice For Web Designers
Razer DeathAdder V2 Gaming Mouse: 20K DPI Optical Sensor - Fastest Gaming Mouse Switch - Chroma RGB Lighting - 8 Programmable Buttons - Rubberized Side Grips - Classic Black
$49.52 in stock
14 used from $25.82
- Focus+ 20K DPI Optical Sensor: Auto-calibrates across mouse mat and reduces cursor drift from lift-off and landing for industry-leading precision
- 3x Faster Than Traditional Mechanical Switches: New Razer optical mouse switches uses light beam-based actuation, registering button presses at the speed of light
- Immersive, Customizable Chroma RGB Lighting: Supports 16.8 million colors w/ included preset profiles; syncs with gameplay and Razer Chroma-enabled peripherals and Philips Hue products
- 8 Programmable Buttons: Allows for button remapping and assignment of complex macro functions through Razer Synapse 3
- Drag-Free Cord for Wireless-Like Performance: Razer Speedflex cables eliminate the need for mouse bungees, drastically reducing weight and drag for absolute control
Microsoft Classic Intellimouse: Best Cheap Mouse For Web Designers
$30.99 in stock
7 used from $24.64
- Ultra-slim and lightweight.
- Quickly and efficiently click to complete your most common tasks with three customizable buttons.
- The ergonomic design of the new Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse is comfortable for hours of use.
- Plug in the fast, wired USB connector without waiting for Bluetooth to pair or searching for a dongle.
- The exceptional tracking that fans loved about IntelliMouse 3.0 is even more precise with a DPI range up to 3200.
Logitech MX Master 3: Best Overall Mice For Web Designers
- Ultra-fast magspeed scrolling - Remarkable speed, precision & quietness of electromagnetic scrolling with all new magspeed wheel - up to 90% faster, 87% more precise & ultra-quiet
- Comfort shape and intuitive controls - Work comfortably with perfectly sculpted shape and ideally placed thumb wheel and controls
- App-specific customizations - Speed up your workflow with predefined app-specific profiles and numerous customization options. Advanced 2.4 GHz wireless technology
- Flow cross-computer control - Work seamlessly on three computers. Seamlessly transfer cursor, text, and files - between windows & macOS, desktop & laptop
- Works on any surface even on glass with dark field 4000 DPI sensor. It is faster and 5x more precise than the basic mouse - so you always hit the right Pixel
Apple Magic Mouse 2 (Wireless, Rechargable) - Best for Mac Users
- Magic Mouse 2 is completely rechargeable, so you’ll eliminate the use of traditional batteries.
- It’s lighter, has fewer moving parts thanks to its built-in battery and continuous bottom shell, and has an optimized foot design — all helping Magic Mouse 2 track easier and move with less resistance across your desk.
- And the Multi-Touch surface allows you to perform simple gestures such as swiping between web pages and scrolling through documents.
Logitech MX Master 2S Wireless Mouse – Use on Any Surface, Hyper-Fast Scrolling, Ergonomic Shape, Rechargeable, Control Upto 3 Apple Mac and Windows Computers, Graphite (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
$54.00 in stock
3 used from $55.99
- Cross computer control: Game changing capacity to navigate seamlessly on 3 computers, and copy paste text, images, and files from 1 to the other using Logitech flow
- Dual connectivity: Use with upto 3 Windows or Mac computers via included Unifying receiver or Bluetooth Smart wireless technology. Sensor technology: Darkfield high precision
- Advanced ergonomic design: Perfectly sculpted, hand crafted shape supports your hand and wrist in a comfortable, natural position
- Auto shift scrolling: Speed adaptive scroll wheel auto shifts on the fly from click to click to hyper fast scrolling; Wireless operating distance: 10 m
- Battery: rechargeable Li-Po (500 mAh) battery. Rechargable battery: Upto 70 days of power on a single charge; Number of buttons: 7
Anker 2.4G Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse, 800 / 1200 /1600 DPI, 5 Buttons for Laptop, Desktop, PC, Macbook - Black
- Scientific ergonomic design encourages healthy neutral "handshake" wrist and arm positions for smoother movement and less overall strain.
- 800 / 1200 / 1600 DPI Resolution Optical Tracking Technology provides more sensitivity than standard optical mice for smooth and precise tracking on a wide range of surfaces.
- Added next/previous buttons provide convenience when webpage browsing; the superior choice for internet surfers, gamers and people who work at length at the computer.
- Enters power saving mode (power is cut off completely) after 8 minutes idle, press right or left button for it to wake. Product dimensions: 120*62.8*74.8 mm; product weight: 3.4 oz.
- Package includes: 1 Anker Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse (2 AAA batteries not included), 1 2.4G USB receiver (in the bottom of the mouse), 1 instruction manual. 18-month hassle-free warranty.
Logitech MX Vertical Wireless Mouse – Advanced Ergonomic Design Reduces Muscle Strain, Control and Move Content Between 3 Windows and Apple Computers (Bluetooth or USB), Rechargeable, Graphite
- ADVANCED ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Places your hand in a natural handshake position using a unique 57-degree angle, preventing forearm twisting and reducing muscular strain by 10 percent (As compared with a traditional non-vertical mouse. Based on Logitech Study, September 2017)
- HYPER-EFFICIENT TRACKING - 4000 DPI high-precision sensor provides precise tracking that requires 4x less hand movement compared to a traditional mouse with a 1000 DPI sensor
- CROSS-COMPUTER CONTROL - Game-changing capacity to navigate seamlessly on three computers, and copy-paste text, images, and files from one to the other using Logitech FLOW
- THREE WAYS TO CONNECT - Use with up to three Windows or Mac computers via included wireless USB unifying receiver or Bluetooth smart technology or the included USB-C charging cable
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY - With quick charging: Stays powered for 4 months on a full charge – and get 3 hours of use from a 1-minute quick charge (Battery life may vary based on user and computing conditions)
Logitech M330 – Best Quiet Mouse For Web Designers
$17.99 in stock
3 used from $16.99
- ULTRA-QUIET MOUSE - 90% reduced click sound and same click feel eliminates noise and distractions for you and others around you
- QUIET MARK CERTIFICATION - Logitech is the first mouse company in the world to receive the Quiet Mark certification from the UK Noise Abatement Society that internationally recognizes technology designed to reduce noise
- ERGONOMIC SHAPE - Designed with contoured grips made of soft rubber for total comfort
- LONG BATTERY LIFE - 2 year battery life and auto-sleep help you go longer between battery changes
- PLUG'N'PLAY CONNECTION - Nano-sized Logitech wireless unifying receiver stays in your computer - plug it in, forget it, even add compatible wireless devices without multiple USB receivers. Note: No Bluetooth connection, only USB connection
Microsoft Modern Mobile Mouse (KTF-00013), Black
$26.99 in stock
2 used from $18.71
- Light, portable, ergonomic mouse is perfect for precise navigation on the go
- No cords or dongle — connects wirelessly to your computer via Bluetooth
- Enhanced wheel is optimized for smooth, natural scrolling
- Works on virtually any surface thanks to BlueTrack technology
- Elegant, sculpted design — sits comfortably in your hand
Logitech MX Ergo Wireless Trackball Mouse Adjustable Ergonomic Design, Control and Move Text/Images/Files Between 2 Windows and Apple Mac Computers (Bluetooth or USB), Rechargeable, Graphite - Black
$87.96 in stock
- Ergonomic sculpted design - unique adjustable hinge allows you to customize the trackball angle from 0 to 20 degrees for a more natural, comfortable hand position, and reduced muscle strain
- Cross-computer control- game-changing capacity to navigate seamlessly on 2 computers, and copy-paste text, images, and files from one to the other using Logitech flow
- Dual connectivity- use with up to 3 Windows or Mac computers via included Unifying receiver or Bluetooth smart wireless technology
- Rechargeable battery- up to 70 days of power on a single charge; Nominal value : 380 dpi
- Precision scroll-wheel - tilt and middle click wheel allows for precise scrolling and other Convenient controls such as horizontal scrolling
If you’re a web designer, then it’s likely that you’ve spent countless hours researching the best mouse for your profession.
In this article, we have listed some of our favorite mice with features that will make any web designer happy.
Whether you need something affordable or prefer to customize every button of your device, there is an option on the above list for everyone.
The Logitech MX Master 3 is a good choice and ranks as one of the highest-rated products out there because it has all the necessary features needed by any web designer: comfort, affordability, customizability (for both Mac OS and Windows), accuracy/precision-good enough for most jobs.
If you need precision and accuracy, then the Razer DeathAdder Chroma is a great mouse. It might not be as comfortable for long periods of time.
If funds are tight and comfort is what matters most to you (perhaps because designing isn’t your primary job), then any one of these mice will do the job and make your work easier.