If your 4th generation Echo Dot is not connecting to Wi-Fi/Internet, TV, Firestick, or refuses to turn on, there are a few things you can try before resetting it.
First, check to make sure the power cord is securely plugged in and the outlet works. Remove the cord from the outlet and wait for 10 seconds before you plug it back. Power cycling the 4th Gen Echo dot may solve the issue.
If it still doesn’t work, you may need to reset your 4th Gen Echo Dot to factory defaults. This way you will completely erase the settings, apps, and content on the device and start fresh.
In this guide, we will help you to deregister and reset your 4th Gen Amazon Alexa Echo Dot.
How to Hard Reset 4th Gen Amazon Alexa Echo Dot: Definitive Guide
There are two methods that you can use to reset your 4th Gen Echo Dot. The first method is using the Alexa app on your phone. The second method is using the buttons on your Echo Dot.
Methods 1: Hard Reset 4th Gen Echo Dot With App
If you are following this method, make sure that the Echo Dot is turned on and is connected to the internet.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
- In the top left corner, tap three lines (⋮) to open the menu.
- Tap Settings, then Device Settings.
- Tap ‘Echo and Alexa‘.
- Select your Echo Dot 4 Gen
- Tap on Factory Reset and confirm
Method 2: Reset 4th Gen Echo Dot Without App
If Method 1 fails, you will have to manually reset the Echo Dot 4th Gen. Follow these steps below.
- Look for the Action button on your Echo Dot. It is a small, circular button located on the top of the device.
- Press and hold the Action button for 20 seconds or until you hear Alexa read a message “Resetting your device, this will take about a minute, I’ll let you know when it’s done.
- Release the button(s) & wait for 1-2 minutes for the reset to complete.
- Once it’s reset, Echo dot will tell you to set up the device using the Alexa app.
How to setup Amazon Echo Dot 4th Gen:
After the reset is complete, you will need to set up your Echo Dot 4th Gen using the Alexa app.
- Plug in the Echo Dot
- Open the Alexa App on your Smartphone (Android, iPhone)
- A pop-up will appear on the screen if you have purchased your Echo device from Amazon’s website.
- You will have to connect it to a Wi-Fi network through the app.
- Next, you will have to follow the on-screen instructions and enter your Wi-Fi password.
- The app will walk you through the setup process which includes adding music services, setting up alarms, and connecting smart home devices.
Resetting the Echo Dot 4 is the logical step to take when you are gifting it to someone, and is your last resort when it isn’t connecting to the internet or you have encountered other issues with the device.
The above-mentioned steps are easy to follow and should take no longer than 2 minutes to complete. After resetting the Echo Dot 4th Generation, be sure to connect it to the Wi-Fi network and Amazon account you want it associated with.