In this post, we will discuss different mouse grip styles, their pros, and their cons.
If that’s what you are looking for, you are at the right place.
We will thoroughly go through how these grip styles can be helpful to you as you play games on PC, scroll the web, or do chores.
Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is Palm Grip Style?
So let’s start with the Palm grip style, and yes, it is exactly what it sounds like.
When you are holding your mouse in Palm grip style, your palm makes maximum contact with the mouse’s body with your forefinger on the buttons and the thumb resting on the side.
Holding a mouse in Palm grip style is mostly a natural instinct, but it has many advantages and some shortcomings.
Let’s find out what you’ll be getting into with palm grip style.
Advantages of Palm Grip Style:
- If you plan to use your mouse for a long time, this style is the best choice.
- It tends to give a precise result.
- If you are looking for a relaxed motion, then Palm grip style is what you should go for.
- This grip style gives the best tracking experience in FPS games.
Disadvantages of Palm Grip Style:
- If you are into those FPS games which require constant flicking, then the Palm grip style of holding a mouse can be pretty tiring.
- As this style mostly relies on shoulder and elbow movement, it can be a little exhausting.
- To get full use out of this grip style, you’ll need a good height table ( for shoulder support), a larger mouse pad, and a palm grip mouse (Optional).
What is Fingertip Grip?
As the name states, in Fingertip grip, you’ll be in minimal contact with the mouse as you’ll be hovering your mouse with your fingertips only.
In a fingertip grip, you’ll be moving and gripping your mouse with your fingers.
Advantages of Fingertip Grip:
- With enough muscle memory, it gives the best speed and accuracy.
- This grip style works great with limited desk space as it provides excellent tracking and agility in a small area.
- Most of us are having trouble adjusting to the wrist aiming styles; that’s when the fingertip grip weighs in saves us.
- It is the best style for users with large palm-size or small mice. This mouse gripping style can save you from buying a new mouse.
Disadvantages of Fingertip Grip:
- If you are not used to the fingertip grip style, then it may be a lot strenuous at the start.
- It can cause finger strain if you are not training your finger’s dexterity.
- This grip style is not suitable for a Low DPI and high sensitivity gaming needs.
- It can take a little time to master the skill of fingertip gripping style.
What is Claw grip style:
Now let’s get to the claw grip style; let’s be clear that even though you are not aware of it, you might have used this gripping technique a lot when you are right in the middle of an intense FPS gameplay.
Let me walk you through the specifics.
In claw grip style, your hand resides at the end of the mouse while your fingers take over the buttons.
Why is this grip size so common, you ask? Because through this grip style, you’ll have better control over the mouse, and the finger position is much more natural to provide instinctual wrist movements.
Advantages of claw grip style:
- In claw grip style, you’ll have a smooth gliding experience.
- Compliments quick actions.
- Best for rapid-fire and agile movements.
- It gives out natural wrist movements.
Disadvantages of claw grip style:
- Although this grip style gives out easier and precise results, it might be harmful to your wrist joints.
- Not convenient for regular PC tasks.
So that’s all about the grip styles in the computer mice. You should probably go for the Palm grip style if you are into FPS gaming, which is all about precision and accuracy. For an Illustrator, I’ll recommend shaping up your muscle to adapt the fingertips grip style.
And last but not least, if you need accuracy like palm grip and agility like fingertip grip, you should aim for their hybrid, a.k.a Claw grip style.
Kevin is a Tech journalist for over a decade. He writes on Wearables, Headphones, and Laptops. When he is not glued to his laptop, You will find him working on exciting projects that include Unboxing new Gadgets, comparing them, and tweaking their hardware.