Earbuds, like in the past, were primarily intended for music listening, but they may now be used to make and answer phone calls comfortably.
Mics in earbuds have been improved over time, allowing call-making and hands-free communication.
Do AirPods Have A Mic Built-In
Yes, AirPods have a mic built-in. The structure of the AirPods is largely the same as the 1st and 2nd generation AirPods, except for the addition of a noise-canceling microphone on the AirPod Pro.
The primary use for the built-in mic on AirPods is to make phone calls, but it can also be used for other purposes, such as recording video or audio.
Apple AirPods structure
Apple’s AirPods are wireless earbuds that come with a portable charging case, which also functions as a storage unit for earphones.
The charging case has an opening at the top where the AirPod earphones can be placed when not in use; this enables them to be fully charged while being protected from damage.
AirPods have a W1 chip, which allows them to be easily set up with all Apple devices that are linked via iCloud.
The earphones themselves have no buttons or switches on the outside, but there are small holes beside each earpiece, where sound is emitted for listening purposes when music is being played.
AirPods have a rating of IPX4, which means they are protected from sweat and water damage.
But keep in mind that the charging case of AirPods are not water resistant, so be careful when putting AirPods back in the case for charging.
Dry them out with a soft cloth before putting back.
Active Noise Cancellation(ANC) in AirPods pro
Active noise cancellation is a feature that is available on the AirPod Pro earphones.
It works by using two microphones to pick up surrounding noise, which is then inverted and played back through the earphones.
This creates a sound wave that is the opposite of the surrounding noise, which helps to cancel it out.
This allows the wearer to listen to music, podcasts, or other audio without being distracted by ambient noise.
Transparency mode in AirPods Pro
The Transparency mode on the AirPod Pro earphones is a feature that allows the wearer to hear their surroundings while still listening to music or other audio.
This is useful for situations where it is necessary to be aware of one’s surroundings, such as when walking or running outdoors.
You can change this from the settings of your iPhone.
AirPods Fit in Ear
They are designed with a flexible fit that is meant to create an airtight seal inside the wearer’s ear for better sound quality and noise isolation.
The design of the charging case enables the earphones to be stored securely while preserving their battery life when not in use, which makes them a practical choice for people who want a convenient way to listen to audio while on the go.
AirPods Pro Fit in Ear The AirPod Pro earphones have a double-tap function, similar to that of the original AirPods.
Double-tapping on either of the earpieces will activate Siri or pause audio playback; double-tapping on the right earpiece can be used to adjust sound volume.
The AirPod Pro earphones have a rating of IPX5, which means they protect from water damage and sweat during intense physical activity.
They also come with a wireless charging case that has an LED status indicator to show the charging status of both the earphones and the case.
Number of Mics
In older cabled earphones from Apple to have a mic in the wire, when creating the more ease to user’s life apple designed AirPods wireless and put a microphone in each earpiece.
The standard AirPods have two microphones located on the end of each stem to capture sounds and transfer them to the W1 processing chip for voice input.
These two mics enable the AirPods to detect and isolate the human voice and to perform different types of tasks like using Siri, answering calls, and recording Audio.
While the AirPods Pro has four mics, Two located in each earpiece, they are meant to provide an accurate sound input and capture the precise location of the audio source for better echo cancellation.
The other two are located on the inner side of each earpiece when you put them in your ear.
Don’t worry Apple is not listening to the voice of other people you are on call with, these two mics on the inner side are for better sound quality and to configure with the owner’s sound desires.
These inner mics provide extra noise cancellation features than of the 1st generation AirPods.
How To Test Microphone
- Open Voice Memos on your iPhone
- Tap the red button to start recording a new memo
- Tap the AirPods icon in the top left corner of the screen
- The microphone on your AirPods will now be activated
- Start talking into the microphone and record a quick voice memo
- Tap the AirPods icon again on the screen to stop recording
- When you play back your voice memo only the audio from your AirPods microphone will be audible
- Now you can listen to your recorded voice, when you hear your recorded voice, hence checked.
The other way to check whether the Microphone is working or not is you make a simple call, if the person on the other side is not getting your voice then you can clean or replace your AirPods.
How to Maintain Your AirPods
One question that came to mind of every AirPods owner that how to maintain him/her AirPod. We have compiled some useful instructions, let’s check them out.
- AirPods and AirPods Pro should not be submerged in water
- Use a lint-free, gentle, dry cloth or cotton swabs
- If your AirPods or AirPods Pro come into contact with anything that could cause stains or other damage, such as soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, perfumes, solvents, detergent acids or acidic foods etc., clean them with a soft dry lint free cloth
- Do not expose to extreme temperatures (hot/cold) for long periods of time
- Keep away from dust and dirt by storing in the case they came in and keep the lid closed when not using them
- Avoid using cleaning tools that are sharp or abrasive (a soft cloth is recommended)
- Clean your AirPods and casing by swiping across it with a damp cotton pad or cloth, avoid rubbing
- If dirt does not come off easily, use alcohol to moisten the lint-free cloth and wipe both the AirPods and case, then wiping them dry with a lint-free cloth
- Store your AirPods and their charging case in a cool dry place
- Use AirPods only within the temperature range of 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
- Keep AirPods away from electronics
- Don’t use other electronic devices, chargers, or cases at the same time as your AirPods. This could damage them or reduce their battery life
- If you have allergy problems, take off your AirPods and clean them before you put them back on
- Do not use AirPods to replace your hearing aid
- Remove the ear tip prior to putting them back in their case and ensure it is dry before reapplying the ear tip to the charging port
- If you notice that your AirPods or case are damaged, stop using them immediately as they may pose a safety risk
- Do not attempt to repair AirPods or their charging case yourself
These 17 points are for informational purposes only and do not replace manufacturer guidelines, please refer to the manufacturer’s website for additional information.
In this blog post, we have discussed the built-in microphone in AirPods(1st and 2nd generation) and AirPods Pro.
In addition, We’ve outlined some instructions for taking care of your AirPods in case you experience any problems with the mic, as well as some guidelines on using them safely.
So In our research, you should buy AirPods Pro with the extra features we have discussed above for $90 extra.
Thank you for reading.